Our client is a regional leader in the high end luxury co-working space. They have been inspired by the demand for a more holistic space in which to conduct business – the desire for somewhere to gather, create and innovate rather than merely get things done. Because beyond productivity, work is also about new conversations, connections, inspiration, contemplation and repose. Our client is designed to be the perfect backdrop to the highlights of life happening.
We are looking for a Director of Design & Construction (“DDC”) who is responsible for design and construction management of our locations. Leading a team, you will work closely with our design consultants, project management team and landlords on our new openings, through construction till handover to our Operations team. You will also coordinate maintenance programmes and renovation scopes for our existing ones.
You will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) and will be working with leading designers and consultants you will work to achieve the maximum value for each project, ensuring that every office is built efficiently and in line with design and brand standards.
This position requires good eyes for things beautiful, integrity of the highest, and a passion for structure and details. You enjoy being part of a fast-moving and dynamic team and thrive in an agile environment.
What will you do :-
The Bridge Between Stakeholders
- Manage and coordinate activities of the project inception to project close-out to achieve successful completion of the project within agreed cost, time and quality parameters.
- Liaise with the property owners and appointed consultants to propose their construction and development plans to construct offices to ensure the readiness of the property for operations
- Liaise with the landlord(s) and appointed consultants on the design development and construction completion for the various projects
- Coordinate the preparation and documentation of the collaborative design scheme for tender process
- Liaise with other operating Departments on issues relating to the Project
- Liaise with other operating Departments on handing over of the Project upon completion.
Performs In-House Project Management
- Responsible for the design direction, administration, management and communication co-ordination to deliver the project including developing and regulating the master programme, key documents and general process.
- Highlight any problems that threaten the successful completion of the project and thus provide an alternative solution as required to maintain the project cost and programme within the agreed parameters.
- Take lead in conducting tender process of all required components, evaluate the returns (with relevant involved consultants) and provide recommendations to management for the award of contracts
- Ensure compliant to the company branding specifications and Design Guide
- Ensure compliant to the local statutory requirements and obligations. Coordinate relevant submission to the respective agency. Coordinate inspection when required.
- Conduct regular check (e.g. site meetings, site walks, etc.) to inspect the progress and quality of works and reporting on the construction process to ensure that work done comply fully with all tender specifications.
- Ensure all contractors and/ or direct agents/ vendors/ specialists engaged respect safety and security policies and procedures at all the times in the conduct of their work and to ensure property is not compromised in any way.
- Monitor the cost and work closely with Quantity Surveyor to procure long lead packages to prevent delay in opening
- Ensure adherence to the project completion timeline
- Proactively monitor progress and take necessary steps to ensure variations are aligned to the company branding specifications and service standards
- Co-ordinate to assure testing and commissioning for critical infrastructure and construction are carried out upon successfully installation of system. To ensure the necessary equipment and/or system training for the Client is conducted.
- Inspect all work to ensure defects and omissions are duty rectified before handover to users. Documents outstanding defects and omissions and monitor their proper and timely rectification throughout the defects of liability period.
- Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Someone who is ready to get their hands dirty and understands that devil is in the details
- Prior experience in architecture, technical services, property management or other related field.
- Experience opening new business units, including restaurants, hotels, commercial properties, etc.
- Deep understanding of building financials in order to continually optimise vendor and team performance is essential.
- Strong time management skills and experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-directed with a high level of initiative and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Gets excited about working with numerous people across cultures day to day
- Impeccable and concise communication and presentation skills, verbal and written
- Demonstrate integrity, responsibility, and good work ethics
- Proficient in basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise, multi-task, delegate and work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Finds it easy to bridge corporate and start-up culture